Posts tagged state
Congratulations to both the Lady Purples on their state runner-up team victory and the boys for their 7th place finish at yesterdays Class 3A state cross country championship. This has been a long time coming for the Lady Purples after finishing a disappointing third place at last years state meet and fourth place the year before that. The last time the Lady Purples were state runner-up (1997-Class AA), two of the team members eighth-grader Madisyn Peeples and freshman Brittney Hansen were not even born. The seventh place finish for the boys is the best finish at state in recent memory.
Sixteen Purples invaded 2012 KHSAA CLASS 3A STATE TRACK MEET hosted at the University of Louisville. After all the dust had settled, the Lady Purples came out with a 13th place finish and broke three (3) Bowling Green High School records in the process.
The day started off with the girls 3200 relay taking the track. The team which consisted of Van Games, Ciara Scott, Brittney Hansen, and Lauren Wheeler put in an awesome and exciting effort, with Lauren Wheeler in a full out sprint down the back stretch to the finish. The result was a 3rd place finish, only losing the state runner-up position by less than one second, while setting a NEW BGHS school record with a time of 9:40.00 breaking the old mark by the same girls in 2011, by over a five seconds. The performance met the National Elite Silver Standard! A great race by all four girls. Awesome job!
Next up was Paige Hiltner and the 100m hurdles. Paige was coming off breaking her own school record at last weeks Region 2 track meet. In typical Paige fashion you guessed it. She broke her own school record by running a 17.01! We are not done there, on the field we had Chyna Clement also with a National Elite Silver Standard performance in the shot put and bringing home a well deserved 3rd place finish. Trevor Prieskorn working her magic on the Pole Vault earning herself to a 4th place finish while breaking her own school record with a new height of 9-6!
We had several Purples place in the Top-8 in their events (the Top-8 in each event earns a medal at state). Congratulations to the following:
Girls’ 4×800 meter relay (Van Games, Ciara Scott, Brittney Hansen, and Lauren Wheeler), Bowling Green (3rd), 9:40.00 (* BGHS School Record)
Girls’ shot put, Chyna Clement, BG (3rd), 37-1.5
Girl’s Pole Vault, Trevor Prieskorn, BG (4th), 9-6 (* BGHS School Record)
Girls’ 800 run, Lauren Wheeler, BG (5th), 2:21.72
Girls’ 1600 run, Brittney Hansen, BG (6th), 5:18.35
Girls’ 3200 run, Ciara Scott, BG (9th), 11:42.28
Girls’ 1600 run, Sarah-Emily Woodward, BG (10th), 5:28.07
Girls’ shot put, Melissa Escotto, BG (11rd), 32-00.75
Girls’ 100m Hurdles, Paige Hiltner, BG (15th), 17.01 (* BGHS School Record)
Girls’ High Jump, Shelby England, BG (17th), 4-08
Girls’ 4×400 meter relay (Morgan Smith, Brittney Hansen, Sarah-Emily Woodward, and Lauren Wheeler), Bowling Green (18th), 4:18.13
Boys’ 110m Hurdles, Darian Jackson, BG (9th), 15.69
Boys’ 300m Hurdles, Darian Jackson, BG (10th), 41.64
Boys’ Triple Jump, Tarelle Coleman, BG (10th), 41-07.50
Boys’ 1600 run, Kyle Johnson, BG (19th), 4:43.08
Boys’ 4×100 meter relay (Tarelle Coleman, Danny Dewalt, Darian Jackson, and Roshard Shannon), Bowling Green (17th), 44.69
Boys’ Long Jump, Danny Dewalt, BG (24th), 15-11.50
For complete 2012 KHSAA CLASS 3A STATE TRACK MEET RESULTS CLICK HERE
Here are some of my thoughts about the State meet for those of you who are attending for the first time. Others may have more information to share as well.
- Masterson Station Park is off of Leestown Road in Lexington. There is a back way in that seemed to save us some time last year, but I don’t remember it. Someone who knows more may fill in the blanks.
- Parking is awful, so be early.
- There is a $5 charge per person to enter. I’m not sure if they will charge for the runners – I would assume not, but I’ve been wrong before.
- Once in the park, it is a zoo. They expect 8,000 people, and everybody has a tent. We will have at least one white tent set up, and probably two. We may get a bunch of balloons to identify ourselves. When you get there, you can call me (270-779-9677) and I’ll tell you where we are. (If anybody else wants to send your phone numbers we can make a contact list.)
- We will have a few coolers with ice. I have water leftover from the race tonight, but we might need another case. We do need someone to bring snacks.
- There will be concessions there, but the lines are REALLY long.
- One of the big things (at least last year) were sweatshirts the kids can buy. They can choose different decals and design their own shirt. Again, the lines are typically long, so don’t wait until the last minute.
- Rows and rows of Port-a-potties.
- Again, make sure the kids are at our tent ready to run 2 hours before their race. It is very important with so much going on that the kids pay attention to the time and stay together.
- Course maps are available on the KTCCCA website here.
- Last year they announced when they were about to do the awards ceremonies for each race, which were about 30 minutes to an hour after each race.
This is a great event and a fun end to the season. If you can, it is great to watch all the races and support all the teams. Please let us know if you have any questions I haven’t answered. See you Saturday!
Congratulations to all the runner who have made the State team!! Your hard work has paid off. The following information is for this Saturdays Middle School State Championships to be held in Lexington Ky (3051 Leestown Rd, Lexington, KY.) For directions and times etc please visit KTCCCA’s website KTCCCA.org also the flier for the meet can be found here.
State meet at Masterson Station in Lexington
There will be a $5 admission charge per person.
RACE TIMES (All Times Are Eastern)
12:00 PM 6th Grade & Under Girls State Championship
12:30 PM 6th Grade & Under Boys State Championship
1:00 PM 6th Grade & Under Boys & Girls Open Race
2:00 PM Middle School Girls State Championship
2:30 PM Middle School Boys State Championship
3:00 PM Middle School Boys & Girls Open Race
3:30 PM 4th & Under Girls State Championship
3:50 PM 4th & Under Boys State Championship
4:10 PM 4th & Under Boys & Girls Open Race
Top 50 in each race receive a medal. Top 5 teams receive trophy (or something).
Two quick things:
1. We only have 4 kids signed up to ride the bus on Saturday. That is not enough to justify paying a bus. The parents need to make other arrangements. If they need to ride with me to Lexington Saturday Morning I will need a letter giving permission.
**2. Info sent from state:
Please inform your parents and fans not to bring dogs to the cross country meet. We have a liability issue. With 8000 people at the meet, you can have the nicest dog in the world, but having someone run by and step on the dog or get tripped by a lease creates problems we do not want to deal with. Besides that I have seen police officers at Masterson Station ticket people because they did not have all their papers for them for their dogs. Coaches, this is your responsibility to inform the parents.
Also the reason we are only using two pins on the bibs is that pinning the bottom holes can bend the chip and cause it to become defective. Do not bring extra pins to pin the bottom. Do not pin the bottom and come back to registration and say you need more pins. The weight of the chip will hold the bib down. It worked for nearly 3000 runners at Trinity.
Kentucky Track & Cross Country Coaches Association
Special Education, PBC